Lawnmower Lust
Being that I'm a new homeowner, I'm discovering new things about myself on a daily basis. I had some paid time off recently, and I wasted no time in taking it. My backyard needed a once over so I spent the day doing yard work. How f-ing enjoyable! First of all, it was a fantastic day in So Cal. about 77 degrees with a mild Santa Ana condition. I throw on my MP3 player, fire up the lawnmower, and go to task. The combination of a thundering motor under my knuckles, and being able to bellow out versus of Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, while beads of sweat roll down my brow, gave me a such a feeling of carelessness and serenity. It was during this series of chores, I seriously contemplated a career in landscaping. Maybe I was born for manual labor. It felt so right. The tiny grass clippings making my nose itch, the dirt under my fingernails, the smell of fumes from a gas powered weed whacker. All of these things brought my busy life to a standstill, where I could forget about the worries of the world and literally take time to smell the roses. I really enjoyed that experience. I can't explain why it was so profound. I remember growing up as a kid and pretending to be sleeping in on Sunday mornings when my dad would fire up the lawnmower. I wanted no part of it. Now that it's my own house, it really does make a difference. I love my lawnmower! Whew...there, I said it.

No comments:
Post a Comment